Duration: 2 Days
This course is designed for personnel and contractors that may be called to undertake rescues from confined spaces which can be categorised as High Risk, in accordance with UK Confined Space regulations 1997 and OSHA Regulations 2015.
The course will provide trainees with the skills to recognise and identify regulated confined spaces and the hazards associated with them, complete a risk assessment prior to entering and working in confined spaces and evacuate the space and rescue others in the event of an emergency. This will ensure their own safety and the safety of others prior to starting work and in an emergency situation or in the event of an accident or injury.
On completion of training the students will show understanding of and be able to demonstrate the following tasks.
- Identify and define confined spaces and associated terminology.
- Recognise the hazards of confined space entry.
- Identify and utilise suitable gas detection equipment.
- Complete a hazard risk assessment identifying hazards in the area to be entered.
- Identify and deploy effective hazard control measures prior to entering confined spaces.
- Understand the need for pre entry hazard identification and planning.
- Understand and apply the hierarchy of control to working in High Risk confined spaces.
- Identify and understand the requirements of an emergency plan
- Understand the construction and operating methodology of the SCBA set
- Change over an empty air cylinder and carry out the acceptance and standard tests for an SCBA set
- Don, start up and work using an SCBA set including using a second man attachment (if fitted)
- Be able to calculate working durations for a given cylinder air pressure
- Employ a recovery tripod and winch to recover a casualty
- Employ a stretcher and winch to recover to recover a casualty.
- Implement an emergency plan in the event of an accident or other emergency.
- Understand specific procedures required for onshore or offshore operations (if applicable)
- Demonstrate understanding of all the above by practical application to a confined space operation.
Course Skill Sets:
- Skill sets are based on basic training in the following subjects, confined space entry, gas detection, risk identification and assessment, use of an SCBA set, use of the recovery winch, tripod and stretcher.
The training course standards are paralleled against a variety of standards across the UK industrial codes of practice including, The Health and Safety First aid a work regulations 2013, Management pf Health and safety at work Regulations 1999, The Confined Space Regulations 1997, general provisions of The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and other relevant regulations.
On completion of training all students will be expected to show competence by demonstrating all the above skill sets in a realistic accident simulation.
Students failing any risk critical outcome of the syllabus may be removed from the training course and be required to undergo a period of further training prior to re attending.
Pens, Flip chart, Projector and Display Screen, Entry control board, SCBA set (1 per student) Tripod and Recovery Winch, Rescue stretcher, Fall Arrest Harness (1 per student) 4x 4 gas monitors
Course Size: Maximum of 12 Students per 1 Instructor
Schedule Available Upon Request
Schedule Available Upon Request